Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Evolution

I honestly can't tell you how long we've lived in this house but I can tell you we will be here awhile.  We love it.  Ever since Kip and I moved in together we knew we wanted to live on the north slope of Lakeridge.  We definitely bought a fixer-upper and while I think I'd be fine never remodeling again in my life, the benefits have been pretty great. 
We started here:


And then in September of 2008 (I think!) we began the second floor addition.


Spring/Summer of 2010 we tore out the crumbling driveway and walkway and replaced it with pavers

(They're not slanted...just a bad picture)

And then I tried to grow a hedge.  It failed miserably.


I was told to leave my hedge alone.  I didn't.  I couldn't.  I tore it out and bought espalier pear trees.

They were an improvement.  But not by much.

So for my birthday, Bob and B-Z got me a "garden design." 

And design we did. 



We have a terraced wall behind the tress now so our grass is level, the trees have since been trained onto the wires on the fence posts and we are happy as clams.

8 comments:

Laurie said...

looking good! Red rover, red rover, send Zaide right over...to make our yard look nice.

zaideafraidey said...

are those lithodora planted yet??? What a fun/transformation project. Next stop Kippers garage!!

Emily Locke said...

wow! doesn't even slightly resemble the first shot! I need a garden designer too. We've done a lot of ripping out of the last owner's landscaping--or lack there of.

Laurie said...

PS you guys need your own HGTV show.

Sue said...

WOW - the end.

Katie said...

LOVE.

now post the evolution of the inside too! :)

Jocelyn said...

lis- your house is so fancy! wow!! the yard looks great. i have a pear espalier as well... they grow sooo fast it's a great buffer. keep up the good house/yard work!

Meg said...

The house is amazing...you guys doing it all is amazing. You should be very, very proud. Oh, and the view, get outta here! It's insane.