Friday, March 16, 2012

76/366

The sun finally came out today.  Thank god because we've been house bound for way too long.  In fact, I should probably make more of an effort to get out of the house even if it is raining.

Today we went to the graduation/commissioning ceremony of a friend.  The ceremony was relatively small, only five graduates, and was in Kane Hall at the UW.  We parked in the garage and had to take an elevator.  If you've been reading this blog long enough you know a certain someone is not a fan of elevators.  Every time we go somewhere, whether or not an elevator ride will be included is Maddie's top concern.  As soon as Maddie learned that we would be taking an elevator she started to get panicky.  There were two heavy doorways that we had to go through in order to get to the elevator lobby.  I pushed the automatic door button on one of them and realized that it was going to hit Mads so I pulled her out of the way.  Her tension had mounted at that point to a 9/10 and she SCREAMED.  Being the mean parents we are Kip and I laughed.  And then pretended to jump on and off the elevator.  And then jumped up and down in the elevator.  We think we're pretty funny.  And no, neither of us think we're the responsible party for her neurosis.

In Kane Hall we settled into our second row seats for the somewhat intimate ceremony and gave the girls our phones to take pictures with.  They were both on their best behavior, rapidly filling up all 32GB of memory on the phones with the backs of peoples heads.  A very high ranking general then came up to the podium to give her speech and during a pause Allie let the most gigantic fart out you've ever heard.  I can't even type it without laughing out loud.  I didn't dare look at Kip for fear that my convulsing was going to turn into "OHMYGOD that was hilarious/Nervous, let's not make total asses out of ourselves" audible laughter.  Maddie, at the ripe old age of almost-five didn't quite have the restraint.  She busted out laughing.  At that point I tired to keep a straight face to shush her.  It worked.  Until the diplomas were being given out and Allie announced that she needed to poop.


After the ceremony Kip and I laughed at the fart situation and the woman in front of us turned around and mentioned how great the girls had behaved.  It was very sweet of her.  The she said, "was that what I thought it was?"  No doubt lady.  No doubt for anyone in that room what that was. 

And once again, if you've been reading this blog long enough you know that Maddie is painfully shy.  And when I say painfully I mean that literally.  The mother of the graduate came to talk to us and kneeled down to Maddie's level to talk to her.  Maddie could not speak.  She did however awkwardly whack herself on the head about 20 times before we finally caught the flailing arm and stopped her.  It was a really precious moment.   

Ah yes, the Davis girls definitely need out of the house more often.  

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I'm sure your neurotic, gassy, screaming children were the most interesting thing at the graduation. I've sat through plenty of graduations and I would have welcomed any sort of comic relief.

Your mothers will have to weigh in on which of you is responsible for all of this.

Sue said...

I believe the elevator neurosis has to come from Megan . . .

jillybean said...

I am terrified of heights and my dad took every opportunity to give me a little shove to watch my reaction. He did this until we went on a family vacation to Washington DC. Everyone wanted to go up the elevator of the Washington monument, I refused, and would only go to the top via walking up the stairs. It's quite a climb to the top.