Friday, March 30, 2012

90/366

We lost one of our ladies today. I looked out the window and saw that she was laying on the ground which is not normal during the day. Maddie went to check on her while i looked from out the window. She picked her up and said she was fine but I knew immediately that she wasn't. She was covered in blood. I rushed outside to help. my motherly instincts kicked in and I pleaded with maddie to pick her up (i could not do it) so we could get her into a box and away from the other chickens. We brought her inside where long, Lis was crying, story short, she died. Within minutes. She's buried by a hydrangea in the front yard where Maddie will be able to see from her bedroom window. Although to be honest I don't think she gets it at all. It was definitely a life lesson. For me.

11 comments:

zaideafraidey said...

oh my heart is broken, though will probably not be the last time. What do you think happened to her?

Laurie said...

sad! We had a dead chicken trauma too, very dramatic as ours was attacked by a giant hawk. Poor little Liam had her in a cardboard box and slept by her all night, but she didn't make it.

On the bright side, little kids do love a chicken funeral :-)

Meg said...

Am I the only one laughing? Call me heartless...but Sam the gravedigger cracks me up. I just hope it wasn't Daniel. I really like that guy.

Katie said...

wow. trauma. and Meg, you make me laugh.

sonja said...

CHICKEN DOWN

Sue said...

I, too, hope it is not Daniel - she may have to move indoors . . . sounds like no more free-ranging for the survivors.

zaideafraidey said...

yes Megan you ARE the only one laughing, when they worked on your leg veins did they fill them with ice???

Laurie said...

burn, Zaids. Burn.

Megan, I think this is only because Kip is peripherally involved in the chicken tragedy.

jillybean said...

I am very sad about the death of one of the ladies. Good bye my sweet feathered friend.

Sue said...

Lis - I don't know if you know or not - but I relay many of your chicken stories to my KnitWits on FB - everyone was heartbroken for your lady. . .

Lis said...

Thank you sue. It was really sad. We don't know what caused the death. There was a lot of blood and tears though. We may add to the flock but are definitely going to wait a few weeks before thinking about it.