Sunday, January 3, 2010

Mother of the year?

Well, I know it's still early but I sure felt like "mother of the year" yesterday (1.2.2010). Around 3:30 Kip, Madeline, Allie and I went to Northgate to meet up with Kip's friend who was in town from San Francisco. I wanted to go to Nordstroms and look at some boots. Madeline wanted to run around the store but I wouldn't let her. While holding onto her hand she played the limp noddle card. She immediately complained about her wrist hurting. She didn't cry too much but was complaining quite a bit about it. I kept squeezing her arm, moving fingers, trying to diagnose what I had done to her. We loaded her up in the car and still feeling freaked out I had Kip pull off the freeway to do his own exam. He didn't think she had broken anything so we continued on home. When we tried to get her out of her seat she really started crying. That was enough for me. I buckled her back in and off to the hospital we went. On the way I called Jason Eisenberg and asked how I could tell if I broke Madeline's wrist. I explained what happened and he immediately said, "She didn't break her wrist. she has subluxation of the radial head, check and see if her elbow is tender." So, I pulled off onto the side of the road and sure enough she was holding her wrist to protect her elbow. Jason felt confident he could fix it but wanted me to first speak with Maddie's pediatrician. They were okay with him fixing it as well. Being a bit cautious Jason called his friend who is an orthopedic resident. He advised taking her to the hospital and getting x-rays. After about an hour at the Children's hospital ER with a very emotional Madeline the doctor came in, popped it back in (sans x-rays) and gave Madeline a stuffed butterfly (A nice $200 butterfly I am sure) to make sure Madeline was indeed using her arm. After the walk of doom into the exam room Madeline was quite jovial leaving. She was chatting everyone up and trying to pick the painted balloons on the floor up. So I suck but at least I got her fixed. Also, on a funnier side note our little wrist sucker was throwing everyone for a loop when they were examining her. Our doctor said she had never seen anything like that but, "at least it's cleaner than fingers."

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Kelsey fell roller skating about 20 minutes before her Kindergarten bus was picking her up. She didn't cry but kept holding her arm - I was waiting at the curb with her to put her on the bus. As it pulled up I had a flash of mommy intuition and instead decided to take her to the doctor instead. Sure enough - her arm was broken. I almost sent that little angel to school with a broken arm!
Glad it Madeline is better! Did you get those boots??

Meg said...

Nursemaids elbow...I have no idea why it's called that, but I'm pretty sure that's the layman term for Jason's much fancier doctor term. You guys are becoming quite the fixture at Children's, next time they may get social work involved;). Glad she's on the mend!

Laurie said...

oh poor thing (you with the guilty conscience)! I blame Mads and her 'limp noodle' for the whole thing. I sent my kids to the first day of school with head lice (which I found just before it was time to leave, so I told them not to get close enough to anyone else that they could spot the nasty things) -- I think that qualifies for both mother of the year AND citizen of the year awards. BTW, love her 'medical mystery' wrist hicky!

zaideafraidey said...

poor little thing (you) no telling what will happen when you limp noodle. Love the little hickey story, maybe she will written up in a medical journal, fame comes in many forms.

zaideafraidey said...

I just clicked on it too, love the explanation that it can be caused by a parent jerking on the arm too hard while trying to save the child from falling (or words to that affect) I would go with that Lis, you were just trying to save your child...yeah, right!!!

Unknown said...

I don't remember mom doing that at all, although I was apparently in 5th grade when it happened as it was at Roosevelt. So trashy mom. And no worries; it'll probably teach Maddie to quit going limp noodle...maybe.

Sue said...

welcome to the club! at least you didn't suffer the "foot in mouth" I did when Pam used to throw herself under the clothes racks at downtown Nord and I yelled at her to knock it off and act like a white man - 'nuff said - and have NEVER uttered that kind of thing again!

Laurie said...

Susna, that is so wrong! LOL, Pam aren't you ashamed you made your mother say things like that?

Emily Locke said...

Yikes! How traumatic for everyone involved. I'm glad to hear she's back in ship shape. As an aside, Abe sucks his wrist too. He just can't seem to get his thumb in.