Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What was I thinking?


Exhibit A


Exhibit B



Exhibit C



Exhibit D






Back in January I got a call from Sonja. Against my better judgement I answered my phone. Within 5 minutes she had me convinced that I should sign up for the Rock and Roll half marathon. I hate running. Hate it. 4 miles was the longest I had ever run. 2.5 is standard.
--
Of course I delayed and found the shortest training program possible...8 weeks and halfway through injured myself. I went to the doctor. He was useless. As was everyone else who told me to just give it a rest. Finally after talking to a friend who had just completed the Boston Marathon in 3 hours (WTF?!) I decided that his advice was correct. I gave it a rest. Sheesh, why couldn't people tell me that before I had to pay my $15 copay?
--
After one week off and lots of agonizing about how I was doomed to fail because I wasn't doing anything I went for one of my first long runs. 11 miles. It was horrible. I had my phone wrapped in saran wrap thanks to the dismal weather we've been having, Rudder had to pee and poop every 500 yards and I was running. Duh! Running is freaking boring. I really, really, really need some new music. I need 2.5 hours of Eye of the Tiger caliber motivational music. I did reward myself with Katy Perry's new song right before I went running but couldn't figure out how to move it onto a playlist. So, not only am a terrible runner but I'm also a total apple spaz. I thought these products were supposed to be easy. Am I turning into my mother??
--
Back to the running. I try to plan as much as possible to run alone, meaning without 100lbs of stroller and a toddler who feels the need to hear me gasp out answers to thousands of questions fired off rapidly and reaffirmed 80 times before we move onto the next one.
---
Like I said, I try. To quote Sonja, I have baggage. Unfortunately the City of Renton and Seattle put playgrounds along all of their trails. WHY? Don't they realize that you unequivocally cannot run past a playground with a toddler strapped into a stroller? You have to stop. Have to. If you don't you end up with exhibit A. Exhibit A which has been moved and admitted into evidence is a defiant, I am not moving from this spot toddler. Knowing that this was going to happen I had to tack on an extra half mile onto my run so we could stop at this park. Half of a mile! Remember when I said I don't like running? Well I especially don't like it with all of my added baggage. Exhibit B and C depict said obnoxious, conveniently located-to-trail park.
---
Exhibit D. This is why I encourage immobility. This child was completely content on hanging out in the stroller chewing on my ear buds. Not sure how well they will work after a good saliva dousing but I suppose it's not worse than a little sweat. Right?
---
And my last two pictures? Ah yes, the picturesque brick boardwalk along the river with the cute little ducks. Unfortunately the river is swift and I am nervous. My nervousness= No pushing the stroller for Madeline which = "It's nap time" tantrums. Just in time for my student to walk by. Awesome. "Uh, Hi Bill! Fancy meeting you here! Yeah, we're the spectacle along the river. Okay then, enjoy your lunch!"
--
Lesson learned from all of this? Don't answer the phone when Sonja calls.

9 comments:

Katie said...

running sucks. that is all.

but a quality playlist is a MUST. :)

Katie said...

oh, also, i LOVE Maddie's new balance's. they are so great.

Laurie said...

u r cute. thx for making me laugh today.

zaideafraidey said...

Okay that first pic is the best. Last weekend when we were at the mall going to Marmaduke the girls wanted to look at "one more thing" instead of meeting Bob in the hat store. Finally I said ladies we have to find Baba, when I turned around this was the exact pose Mads had and walked all the way to the store with that exact face.

Val said...

11 miles, what kind of training schedule are you doing? The longest run we have is 10 and it is the weekend before the run. I'm getting nervous, but excited too. We'll have to look for you there!

sonja said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I love the first one, and the one from boardwalk level of Mads and Rudder. I can't believe you are running with the girls. Seriously, you are crazy and amazing all rolled up into one! And I agree, no more calls from Miss Sonia. :)

Emily Locke said...

I hate running too, but somehow the rock n roll marathon does seem alluring. When I was training for a measly 5K I loved having the stroller to lean on while I plodded along.

Meg said...

You ran 11 miles with two kids in a baby jogger...you're insane! The half marathon will be a piece of cake after that.