Friday, October 21, 2011

Our latest project

Up and down, in and out, the main entrance for the girls and I (we park in the garage) has been a dark, dingy, dismal space for a very long time.  I finally got annoyed enough with the bare drywall walls, the stair runner that was original to the house and beyond cleaning and the paint-stained concrete floor that I took matters into my own hands and fixed the place up.  I started by making life difficult for myself and mixed all of my similarly colored beiges from around the house (I was trying to use up old paint) and painted the walls.  It's a nice color...just not sure how I'll do touch up.  Oh well, we'll worry about that one when the time comes.  Then I ripped out the old stair runner.  I have pictures of it somewhere thanks to Maddie but I don't know where they are so just take my word on it.  It was gross.  I repainted the steps a nice fresh bright white, and then TWO times frantically raced around the house scrubbing white paw prints from the floors and rugs.  Don't ask me how Rudder managed to walk on fresh paint...twice.  He spent the remainder of the day in the basement after take-two. 

Then we made a trip to Ikea where I promised Maddie she'd get to push her own kid cart.  People, they don't exist anymore.  Too many cart stealers apparently.  (really?!)  But we bought a cable for one side of the hallway to hang artwork and frames to hang our most recent family pictures for the other side.



And then, I covered up that old paint-stained concrete floor with pennies. Thank you very much to my mom who handed me a container with over 40 pounds of pennies in it.  One at a time I glued those suckers down.  After about $1.00's worth I was ready to give up.  But I persisted and love our somewhat wacky result.

New hooks for coats at World Market

Along with a mirror and a giant West Elm basket for shoes.  One of these days we might be able to find two matching shoes for two girls. Maybe. Don't get too excited Zaide.


(probably should have swept up the drywall dust on my purty pennies for the photoshoot...)

But there it is.  Project done.  Maddie got to help, the gorilla glue is FINALLY off of my fingers and the space seems so much warmer and home-like now.

7 comments:

Katie said...

LOVE it. not sure how i didn't make it down to see in person while we were there... but the pennies are awesome. (as is everything else.) :)

Laurie said...

Folks, it is the cutest basement stairway and landing EVER. For reals. Lis, you are a clever gal for sure (other than the whole letting Rudder run thru the paint 2x)

jillybean said...

The transformation of that house has been amazing. You have done a fabulous job of making it a bright and inviting home. I applaud all your hard work and inventiveness.

Lindsay Soetaert said...

You are SO creative and not only that, you actually produce results! Not sure how you do it... Anyway, I love your home!

Sue said...

WOW - this is awesome!

Val said...

This is amazing, you are totally inspiring me to do something to our downstairs entry, it is all drywall and doesn't feel like home at all. Can you come over and do it for me:)

Meg said...

LOOKS FABULOUS. You're an inspiration.