Monday, July 26, 2010

She's One


Wow. Time has literally flown by. I can't believe that this day, one year ago you were mere hours old. You Allie have forever changed our family dynamic. For the good. I cannot tell you how much fun it is to watch you interact with your sister, your dad and I and your dog.

Let's start with big sis': From the day she met you Maddie has loved you. When I was still pregnant we'd lie down in bed together and watch you roll lazily around in my stomach. Maddie would suck her wrist and rub my belly. She continues this tradition today. Now she watches you crawl around the floor. It takes a lot to get that wrist out of her mouth but you know how to get it yanked...just crawl on into her room and start playing with those trains. You've gotten good little one, good job pushing those buttons.

Your dad: Watching you and your dad is quite possibly one of the cutest parts of my day. The house is pure pandimonium when he comes home. Maddie's running around yelling (and hiding) Rudder's bouncing off the walls and you're standing up in the bay window smaking your tiny little hands on the window trying to attract his attention. When he aknowledges you the flirty smile comes out followed by the head-on-the-shoulder- smile. I can see his heart melting. BUT, there is always a but, I am sorry to tell you this but you should know sooner rather than later. Your dad has an amazing ability (and propensity) to annoy people. Although I don't think I needed to tell you, you've picked up on this trait of his quickly. Despite being only a year old and totally unable to talk you speak clearly as you try and swat your dad's tickle fingers away from you. Your body language is also clear when you just want to snuggle with me, your mama.

Mama: What a mama's girl you are. We're buddies. But only when times are rough. I have never had you cry when we drop you off at Kid's Club at the gym, nor do you mind when strangers hold you. You're Allie Pallie. Emphasis on PAL. I don't think I get to say, "what an easy going little pal you are" anymore as you definitely know what you want and when you want it and are not afraid to express it but you don't seem to be all that shy with people. (keep your fingers crossed on that one. odds are 50/50) You used to be somewhat timid physically but even that in the last few weeks has diminished. I was just telling your dad that you've simply crossed the line from baby to not baby without any kind of transition. No warning! I really thought you were not going to crawl, then in the span of a week you're crawling, crawling up stairs, standing up in your crib and going from a laying down position to a sitting position. Totally unbelievable.

Rudder: Maybe all of this movement has to do with your dog? You love to watch him run around...but from a safe distance. he seems to pick up on your complete lack of desire of having his face in yours and 100% snubs it. This dog loves to check you out. Are you crawling to get away? Just a tip: If you don't want him around you then don't feed him all of your scraps from the high chair. I have this theory, I think this is pretty forward thinking for 2010 but we'll roll with it, that if you reward someone for their behavior they'll continue doing it. STOP FEEDING RUDDER IF YOU DON'T WANT HIM AROUND!

Allie, we love you to the moon and back. Thanks for choosing us to be your mom, dad and sister.

(picture by Jocelyn)

7 comments:

Laurie said...

that picture is 100% presh!!!! Such a cute little pixie! Happy 1st BD Pal!

Meg said...

Pretty stinkin cute!

zaideafraidey said...

you captured her (and you guys) perfectly. I can see all those traits you described beginning to take shape. Hang on, it's going to be a fun ride. Love you little one.

Emily Locke said...

Happy Birthday Allie! That picture is sooo cute! It looks like she's getting ready to fly away.

Katie said...

oh, such a great pic!!! love the balloons that are bigger than she is! :D Happy bday Pal!

Sue said...

oh Lis - how you have grown as a Mama and a woman in the couple of years reading your blog - WOW. Do you even think about the - what was it? whale stickers on the car windows?? - any more??? I think not! Love you and your darling family!

Laurie said...

AGREE, Susna! I really have enjoyed getting to know you via your blog. Thank goodness for the internets!