Thursday, April 21, 2011

Four years old

Four years ago I had a  tiny little baby girl in my arms that I was so excited to watch grow up.  I had no clue what I was doing.  I felt overwhelmed, incompetent and petrified.  Maddie, you've taught me to how to take things one step at a time, trust myself, and to stop worrying as much about the petty things and enjoy life to the fullest.  I learned all of these things by watching you little girl. 

You have blossomed into a person who is generous, kind and best of all HAPPY.  I love watching you with your little sister.  Just tonight you wanted to tuck her in and sing her to sleep.  It was a very tender moment and you were so proud to help me out.  Allie looks up to you.  She emulates you.  And I am happy she does.  You're a very good role model.  

At the age of four we have finally begun sleep training you.  It's been rough but you'll thank me one day.  Your college roommate will thank me one day. After only one week you're actually staying in your bed until 6:00.  Thank god, I was beginning to feel like I had a newborn again. Up, down, up, down all night long. Unfortunately the process still takes a few hours.  We picked 8:00 as your bedtime.  By the time water requests, bathroom breaks, noise observations and any other plethora of reasons for you to get out of bed are over, it's typically after 9:30.  Naps are still a work in progress.  One day you'll wonder why you didn't believe me when I said, "One day you'll wish someone would tell you to take a nap."  By the time you understand what I am trying to tell you here it will be too late. SORRY CHARLIE.  But really, one day you'll wish someone would tell you to take a nap.  They really are rather nice.   Your nap times lately have consisted of some very naughty activities.  You may be destined for a profession in hair cutting.  Or maybe not.  You suck.  You might be able to get a job at Great Clips at the rate you're going.  STOP CUTTING YOUR HAIR.  For a girl who does not want me to cut her hair because you like it long you're not making life any easier when you hack off chunks of your bangs and your braids.  STOP CUTTING YOUR HAIR!

Tuesdays you go to preschool.  You love it.  And I think you're actually picking up some actual Spanish.  When we were in Mexico you tried to tell me something in espanol.  I had no clue what you were saying.  (toddler gibberish?) But someone who overheard you said, "correcto!"  I think you were trying to tell me how to say "up" and "down" the stairs.  I was SO proud.  You are one smart little cookie. 

I love you to the moon and back Maddie.  Can't wait to begin our 5th trip around the sun together.


6 comments:

Laurie said...

such a precious pup, even with that chunk missing from her bangs. And yes, a Great Clips career awaits, based on the haircut I recently got there. Love this sweet missy!

zaideafraidey said...

okay tearing up a bit here, I love that you love her so much (as we all do) it will conquer all the obstacles that come your way. In the meantime you have discovered truly the best thing you could know, "TRUST YOURSELF", every parent has great instincts, don't lose that ability. Love you guys.

Sue said...

What B-Z said X 1000. Love this post!

Katie said...

super cute post, love that girl. and you couldn't even tell she had chunks missing today! :) good luck with the sleep training, sounds hideous.

Kathleen Mullaney said...

Super cute........came to look for the easter pictures this morning.........I'll come back later.

Meg said...

Well duh...she's all this and more. We think she's pretty freaking great too. And tell her her Auntie Meg says: 'Stop Cutting your Hair...and GO TO SLEEP!' Let me know if that worked.