Thursday, August 11, 2011

annual pictures

Beautiful light does not always equal beautifully behaved children but thank god for digital memory cards and experienced photographers.  Last year we had family pictures taken.  Loved them.  This year, around the same time (allie's birthday) I wanted to do them again.  I want Maddie and Allie to know me as something other than a narrator on their blog or as a giant head as I try and take a self-portrait...I want them to have pictures. With all of us. 

We arrived at Discovery Park around 8:00 PM.  We had about five minutes of fun times before a giant balloon was lost.  Did you know you can see Giant Balloons floating away for a VERY. LONG. TIME? I thought that we were doomed after that.  Maddie was beside herself.  I tried to bribe with veggie booty.  Both girls, especially Allie, seized that moment, said "screw you, I'm not smiling, I'm eating." And I thought I was doomed again. Note to self: dangle the booty, offer it up as a reward for smiling and pay up after the pictures are done.  Instead I had to pay with the booty, and then go the ice cream route.  All was well in the world...until both girls repeatedly (tired...no naps) tripped and fell.  Once again, doomed.  But alas, 1.5 hours later, we had 10 decent family pictures (out of 5000) and one very happy mama.






































9 comments:

Laurie said...

hard to pick a favorite! I think I'd go with the last one and the 'group sandwich/hug' but really they all look like keepers. You are v. smart to do this at least once a year. I look back on the pitiful pile of pictures I have of my kids (of course NONE of me or big Tony) and wish I'd been better at photography.

And that someone had invented the computer and the digital camera back then. I KNOW I took tons of photos, but actually getting the rolls of film developed was usually my downfall.

Sue said...

L.O.V.E. them ALL. The end.

Kathleen Mullaney said...

Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful

zaideafraidey said...

the pics are fabulous, hard to believe there was crankiness going on. Love them all.

Meg said...

Love everything about this little family. Well, maybe there are a few things I would change about Kipper...but I'm throwing in the towel:). These are adorable. Love the Davis/Demco sandwich, the one where Kip is torturing Al, and the ones of Mads on your shoulders. So so sweet. All of them.
Oh, and another thing. I would never think to use booty as a bribe. I always consider it healthy and like my kids got their veggies if they eat. I actually pat myself on the back. Another place where I fail at parenting.

Unknown said...

Great photos Lis! I love the ones of you and Kip giving the girls should rides, and where Kip is torturing Allie (too true Meg). Great job.

Unknown said...

Great photos Lis! I love the ones of you and Kip giving the girls should rides, and where Kip is torturing Allie (too true Meg). Great job.

jillybean said...

Beautiful pictures. Fabulous family. Having all these photos is a wonderful journal of a family growing up. Keep the camera rolling.

Val said...

Great pics, you all look so good in them! Did Joc take them?